I wanted to jazz up the "porch" window at our seasonal RV site. Some of the other campers have faux shutters so I decided to see if I could make some of my own out of scrap wood. I also added a faux window box (also out of scrap wood).
Both of these were very easy and would work well for a seasonal RV site or for a shed.
After picking through scrap wood left from my kitchen reno I found some 1x2 mdf strips. Now unfortunately this means these will most likely last this summer, but I'll remake them with pressure treated 1x2's for next year, now that I know I like the look.
To make the shutters cut the 1x2's to the length you want the shutter to be and cut the number depending on width. I decided to go three wide (1x2's are actually 1.5 inches so my shutters are 4.5 inches wide).
To attach them there are two options. I originally wanted to drill pocket holes down the side and attach them the same way I would boards for a table top. Unfortunately I didn't have my pocket hole jig, so I had to resort to a less sophisticated way (but hey it's a camper). I cut a cross piece of 1x2 4.5 inches and attached the boards to it using my nail gun.
That's really all there is to it, I did 2 cross pieces on each shutter. I do recommend staining first (I usually don't because I'm lazy, but when you're connecting boards that closely it does make a difference.
For the window box I had an old piece of pvc siding. I cut it and attached the two cut pieces to create a 3 sided window box.
I then used a scrap 1x3 for the bottom. This left a little gap for drainage. I didn't add a back because I'm only putting faux flowers in it.
I stained it but didn't love it, so I found a scrap 1x2 and used it to trim out the front, which I liked better. I used the same stain as the shutters.
To attach it to the porch, I used the rest of the 1x2 to create two cleats and screwed it on to the cleats. All in all it works perfectly for what I need it for. It's only 3 inches deep and not meant to hold real plants. I'll be doing real window boxes at my house this summer, so I'll take you along for that when the time comes. For now, this method would work for a shed, play house, or camper.
This project ended up being free (except the flowers) because I used leftover wood and stain.
I got all the florals at Michaels. They actually sell faux flowers that are meant for outside, they are water and sun resistant.
That's it! Nothing revolutionary or complicated, but I hope it inspired you to use what you have and jazz up an existing space. Just because something is functional (a shed, an RV, etc) doesn't mean you can't style it up!