I remember helping my grandother clean up after Thanksgiving on eyear, and she instsisted on putting everything away herself. At first I thought she was being stubborn, but one year she admitted, "if I don't stack everything just so, it doesn't fit." At the time I didn't understand, but I now have a kitchen built at roughly the same time as my grandmother's. If I don't stack everything "just so" it doesn't fit.
Prior to starting this kitchen remodel, I made a list of all the "problem" areas in my kitchen and vowed to come up with solutions to fix them. One such area was the fact that our pots and pans were stacked and you had to move them all to get at the one you wanted. As I began building the cabinets, I knew their had to be a better way. I turned to an Ana White plan, and I'm thrilled with the results.
I won't go into crazy detail on how to do this because Ana does that here on her website better than I ever could, but I'll mention a few changes I made to her plan.
You will need:
(1) 2x4 cut to length
(2) 1x2 or 2x2 cut to length
2 drawer slides
Ceiling Hooks (or other hooks designed to hold weight)
Cabinet screws/pocket screws/something to mount the organizer with
The basic concept is that you use a 2x4 attached to 2 side pieces of wood with drawer slides. This allows the 2x4 to go in and out of the cabinet.
Finally, attach the hole thing to a scrap piece of wood (so that it will clear the face frame) and mount on the inside of the cabinet.
Once it's all connected, pre-drill holes and screw in some ceiling hooks (space them however it makes sense to you, I went with 6).
I'm glad I did this prior to adding the back to the cabinet because it made it super easy for me to mount the organizer.
You can then adjust the screws to whatever angle you want. This would be ideal in a larger cabinet, but it's working okay in the 12" cabinet that I was unsure of what to do with.
I did make a slight modification. I sized my scrap wood to the same size as the cabinet, which allowed met o use pocket holes to attach it to both the face frame and the support bar.
I still need to sand and paint, but I wanted to be sure it even worked, and it does!
I'm SO excited to never have to stack things "just so" again!